Surcasti is a mystical village.
Surcasti is a mystical village with some places of power, such as the church of S. Luregn, the Panoramamenhir and the Crap dalla Gneida (Erlenstein).
The most important legend is undoubtedly that of the imposing shell stone "Crap la Gneida". This stone, South of Surcasti, testifies to the long existence of human life in the area. The stone is a relic from pre-Christian times. With a length of seven meters and a height of four meters, it is one of the most interesting shell stones in Graubünden.
The legend says that the devil wanted to hurl the stone at the chapel of S. Catrina below Tersnaus. The boulder landed near Surcasti because a woman obstructed the devil by scribbled a cross into the stone. Anton Derungs collected these and other legends from Surcasti and the surrounding area which were published in 1938 in the booklet "Entuorn las ruinas de Surcasti".
After a 10-minute hike, you will reach the church hill of S. Luregn. The church was once a castle complex.
Ancient writings exist especially in connection with the tower of the S. Luregn church. The tower from the 12th century belonged to the owners of Überkastel. Surcasti owes its name to this family. The Überkastel family disappeared from the scene in the 15th century, Hartwig von Überkastel was the last known descendant. The castle tower was then used as a church tower. Written testimonies to the church of S. Luregn date from 1345, 1515 and 1520. The church was built in Gothic style at the time. The baroque elements, which can still be seen today, date back to a restoration in 1774. During this restoration, a valuable Madonna statue was found which is now in the museum of the monastery of Disentis.